Friday, June 20, 2008

"I'm Certified!"- Kevin Garnett

There's only one way I can start out this blog. Like it or not, I get to gloat for once on my Boston Celtics. And yeah, I can say "my", even if the team has no clue who I am. Anyways, it's been a 22 year wait and it's finally back. I've seen a decent bit of Yankees World Series wins in my lifetime, my Bears went back to the Super Bowl a few years ago and my Tarheels have even won a few. Howevahhh, those don't even come up on the radar in comparison to my love for the Celtics. As most know me, NBA ball is where it's at and that's my passion in life. I know, that may seem weird to some, but that's how it goes.



One thing that truly bugs me and it happens to all title teams I suppose, is bandwagon fans. I know I can speak for my area and then some. Suddenly, everyone and their brother claims they were a Celtics fan for years and years and have suffered through the bad seasons. Get out of here with that garbage. I've even called people out on that when they start that junk to me after the win. Most of these people couldn't tell you a single thing on the NBA and now they act like they've watched every game. I can guarantee they weren't there for the 15-win season in 1996-97. Or how about 19 wins in 1998-99. 24 wins in 2006-07? Nope, you weren't there, so stop saying it and making yourself into a bigger fool. I know I'm on a tangent here, but it just fires me up that nobody (at least in my area) is a true NBA fan and now they're coming out of the closet.

It was nice the day after to get a ton of phone calls from my crew giving me the congrats. Calls all the way from North Carolina and the like talking about how they knew I was going crazy for the win. I've always said I love most other sports and consider myself a pretty big fan, but when it comes to NBA, that's as good as it gets, even if I'm one of 6 NBA fans left East of the Mississippi. Before I get into other topics, for those who haven't seen Kevin Garnett's wacky on-court air time after the game, you are in for a treat. First off, for those who don't know KG, he's full or energy and gives 110%. The funny/weird thing is that he just screams and cusses out of nowhere and talks to himself at the foul line. He's right up there on the f-bomb scale with Scarface and my barber. The Finals were on ABC and the final few minutes of the game they had to constantly bleep out KG on live TV for doing just that. Tie those thoughts in with him screaming out his hoods in Chicago and the like in this clip and you won't know what to think, it's entertainment, even if you're not a basketball fan, you must watch: http://youtube.com/watch?v=jSmD5oAhTmo



Are you ever somewhere and it's stuck in your head? What do I mean? You're looking at some random goofball and for the longest time you're trying to figure out who they remind you of. We've all been there of course. The other night at church this guy across from me had a resemblance to someone famous, but I couldn't put my finger on it. I was thinking that it'd be in my head forever if I didn't figure it out right away. Sometimes when you figure it out you get disappointed, other times not. After about 15-20 minutes of me getting mad at myself, I finally figured out this guy. Who did he look like? Borat. For stories like these and many others, that's what you come here for, or so I hope.

I forgot to mention this one a few weeks ago, so I'll throw it in now. The setting is at a sporting event or anything with a lot of people for that matter. Your car is parked in the parking lot, nothing out of the ordinary so far. The next minute you hear an announcement that someone in a certain type of car needs to move their vehicle. They also give the license plate number with this as well usually. During the football game a few weeks ago with Cork and Kristin, I did the driving in the trusty Buick (soon to have something else in the next month or so probably). Over the PA system, they call for someone in a Buick to move their car. They didn't even say what kind of Buick or what color, idiots. They give the plate number and Cork looks and me and wonders if that is mine. He asks and I have no clue at all what my plate number is. When I said I didn't know and wanted to just continue to remain in my seat, both of them were shocked that I didn't know my plate number. By the end of the game, I still didn't go out and check and took the chance it wasn't mine. I guessed what I thought it was and was way off. Apparently everyone knows that on their car, but I sure don't. I guess I'm the fool, but I come home and knew that Dad wouldn't know either, so that makes two of us. When else would I need that number? It's funny how I can memorize video game codes from 20 years ago, yet don't even bother with my license plate number. I rambled, but there you go on a side story.



The video games have still been rockin'. That's one of the main things I've been doing all summer break. I may never grow up, but I know I'm having fun doing so. Mario Kart Wii has never got a bit of being old. It's a smooth and fun game, plus the online with it is worth it alone. On the 360 front, I got tired of NECKCAR 09 in about 2 days. I traded that away to Walz for Project Gotham Racing 3. It wasn't a new game, but with as rough as NASCAR 09 was for me, I like the trade a lot. PGR3 is quality and simple to use. NASCAR has awesome graphics and gameplay, but the menus and online play wasn't up to par in my mind. And it doesn't have a 2-player option, you serious? Of course I'm still playing Grand Theft Auto IV as well, a lot of time consumed in that. But the past day or so, I'm hooked on old times. Through XBox Live Marketplace, I bought Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting for around $10 and it's the same as the SNES version. SF is easily the best fighting game ever, I won't even argue that point. The online on this is phenomenal as well. If you didn't get my 360 gamertag before, my name on there is Bird33WV, add me.

I'd be fooling people if I didn't talk about my favorite day of the entire year. Yep, you guessed it, the NBA Draft. I'm not lying on saying that is my favorite day of the year either, it's a tradition for me and I get amped up for the action that is about to go down on Thursday, June 26th. My boys don't get a top pick this year, but that doesn't stop me from being focused for that night. As usual, it's time to bust out the pencil and paper as I've been doing this for over 20 years with that style. Yeah, that far back as a little tot I was jotting it down. It's a night when I don't answer the phone and don't want to be bothered. I go into my own little world for about 5 hours that night.

Oh yes, we're due for some new CDs to the collection. This time, we go with 4 rap and one R&B. It's time to break it down, even though I just got done getting these, so not much of a review can be given at this time.



Lil Scrappy: Prince Of The South. The first of three Atlanta CDs this time around, we loaded up. I support Atlanta enough that I should be given free passes at Waffle Houses all over the land and as much true sweet tea that I can drink. Anyways, Scrappy started out as one of Lil Jon's boys and is still so. Now, he doesn't need the extra stuff and does a fine job on his own. I'm a fan, he doesn't get enough credit in my mind.

Lil Wayne: Tha Carter III. The self-proclaimed best rapper alive is back with a hot one as Randy Jackson would say. People have been waiting on this one for a bit and from early sales and reviews, it seems to have delivered. I'm a huge Weezy fan to begin with, so I figure this should be fine and worth the get.

Pastor Troy: A.T.L. - A-Town Legend. It seems like I got a Troy album not long ago. I did actually, but he's back again. Same style as usual, you get the gritty Atlanta feel as only he can do. If you're into the Dirty South meanness instead of the Dirty South bling/car rap (confused yet?), then Troy is your guy.

RZA: Digi Snax. It's like Bone Thugs all over again, yet with Wu Tang. These guys have CDs out ALL the time. That is a good thing by the way and RZA may be my favorite of the entire crew as far as what he brings lyrically. Bobby Digital is doing it big here, something you need to check out if you're into some real rap instead of the garbage that is out there a lot these days.

Usher: Here I Stand. Our third ATL guy and we go R&B for the ladies. You know what you're getting with Ursh. Right up there with Chris Brown as far as dancing goes and he's been around the game. Plus, he does a good job with the music too if you ask me and has a style that fits his persona. Speaking of all of these guys, the BET Awards are coming up! It's my favorite music awards show out there and it'll be on Tuesday night at 8:00 PM EST, be there.



Bird's Dirty Thug Ho of the Week: I think Jas may take over this entire section. We'll have to put her name on it eventually, but she's back with another find for us. She says she has to keep on top of me, so we have another gem to the blog. Also, be safe on trip out East Jas. We have some high quality right here when ya go into her pics. Check it out: http://www.myspace.com/389659376

Bird's Video Moment of the Week: Taco Bell parking lot fight. I wonder if they know their license plate numbers. They'd be one up on me if so. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hViofX551gQ



3 Quick Thangs:

1. Let's open up some birthdays. We'll try Saturday, June 21st, the first day of summer: Baseballer and current announcer, Rick Sutcliffe, 52 now and beating cancer. NBA whitey Tom Chambers. The thing I always remember most about Chambers is how well he could throw down in traffic on people's heads. That and in the old Lakers versus Celtics game for Sega Genesis, Chambers could dunk from the 3 point line and there was nothing you could do to stop it. Kip Winger of the band Winger of course (80s hair band, represent) is 47, wow. Actress Nicole Kidman, 41. Baskeballer Derrick Coleman is also 41. Current NBA baller Richard Jefferson, 28. Nothing amazing here, but a good batch of mid level celebs, if they're even that.

2. Want a little tip to help your night? For a better night of sleep, make the room as dark as possible, turn off the phones, and crank in some earplugs. Take this from a guy that sleeps till late afternoon all summer.

3. Today's fact? You are more likely to be attacked by a cow than a shark.

No comments: