Sunday, August 23, 2009

The Infamous Dola Dairy Mart

It's hard to believe I've been dishing these blogs out for what now amounts to 400 different posts. I'm still going strong after over 5 years worth of madness on this page. I must have nothing better to do as I like to say, but I do like rambling about anything and everything after all of this time. This leads into the last week of August and I've more than had enough of this summer junk. You people that love sweating in the heat, you can keep it. I'm ready to bring on the snow. And no, I'm not one of these people who whine like a baby when it's hot out and then when it's cold, more whining. You can't have it both ways, so that's why I like my cold or at least halfway cool if nothing else. What are we going to provide you in this 400th edition? A run-in with the cops, more softball, more fantasy football, back to work, guacamole on corn on the cob, new CD reviews, and several other underrated things.



Saturday it was softball action. No, not for the league we play in at Morgantown. That league for anyone keeping track, the playoffs finish up this coming week and we're still alive. Word has it that the flag football season is starting up soon, more on that for another time. The setting for Saturday was in the mean streets of Wallace, West Virginia. It's a tradition each August for Cork's fam to have a reunion that goes along with great food and as an added bonus, the softball games. I've been going now for probably ten years or so I'd say, I might as well be part of the family, close enough. Before we get to the game, we have some action that went down on our way there.

I was doing the driving and we roll out of Shinnston around 3:00. As we get onto Route 20, nothing out of the ordinary is going on, we're pretty much in the middle of nowhere. Then I notice lights flashing and the sirens a blasting. He was right behind me after a bit, so I assumed he was coming to bust me. Maybe he was just going to fly past me and go on a mission to track down a car full of meth. Hey, it can happen, we're in West Virginia. Nope, he was after me as I'm such a criminal. Dude comes up to me and asks what I think I've done wrong. Come on buddy, really? Just tell me, it's not like we didn't already know. He got me for going 39 in a 25 zone. Luckily, the dude wasn't a punk and cut me a little bit of a break. He lowered it to a 29 in a 25 so I wouldn't lose any points on my license, just pay the fine.



I always wondered, how do they determine that? Do they look at your records and see that you have nothing on it to begin with and start with that? Or do they randomly decide who they are going to cut a break on with tickets? He asked where I was going and I gave him the small talk and told him about softball. My license was in the back of the car in my softball bag, so he had me get out and find that. I call this week to see how much it is, but it happens to the best of us. I'm surprised it's never happened before to me, especially on back roads. I'm not a speed demon, but I probably push it on back roads. On the interstates, I'm usually decent. However, I can't get mad about it because after 14 years of driving or whatever, that's my first ticket. Not too shabby. Now watch me get like 5 in the next month. Hey Kristen, too bad I wasn't a Marine or I could've gave the cop that line I told you about and acted big and bad. That would've got me out of it for sure, right? :) That topic isn't for now though, I'll jump on that some other day for the fun of it. To show my age as the younger generation didn't get much of this, this part of my day reminded me of some good ol' Beavis and Butt-Head, my favorite show of all time. How so? I'll just put up 10 second clip just for my own amusement:



We hit up the Wallace softball field and do it up big. I didn't make the normal stop at the infamous Dola Dairy Mart, but instead went to the store near the field. Sidell, our Dola jerseys are still hanging inside Dola Dairy Mart for all the fans to see as they come in and buy their snuff. We didn't get as big of a turnout as we normally do, but we still made it work. The field condition was as good as it has ever been probably and we chalked up the field to have it all nice. We keep book, the whole works. We only had enough show up this year for 7-on-7. What we did though was to have the team batting provide both the pitcher and catcher, thus we'd have the field positions locked up. We usually play two games, but this year we were only able to play one as a few people left after the first. Cork and I were on the losing side this year, a bummer, but it's still a blast. I played mostly center as I'm comfortable with and towards the last few innings, I wanted to give shortstop a try. I got web gem of the day possibly with a weird play that turned out for the better. Our third baseman had a ball come his way and it hit off his glove. I happened to be near enough that I went to back him up just because and as the ball fires off his glove, I go for it and get it before it hits the ground. Perfect timing. Again, not too shabby for an old man. Big props go out to Cork's fam for doing it up big with the food and making it another fun reunion.



Last Wednesday was the first day I rocked it out back to work. I was there on Tuesday getting a head start on everyone as I like those first few days to be fairly easy while everyone else is in a panic. As most who know me, if I'm not organized, I'll freak out. Thus I make it a point to always be organized, probably too much for most people's standards, but oh well. I'll never learn on going to bed at a decent hour I'm sure, so the first few weeks of work I'll be in a coma. I do like the job a lot, outside of waking up at 6:00 everyday. If that's the only thing I'm complaining about, then I should be in good shape. I've said before, I could write interesting blogs just on the characters I am in contact with in my classes. I'd feel weird doing that though and I'm not the type to ramble on about work. Nobody wants to hear that. Some stuff you wouldn't even believe, but that's what keeps me going and makes it fun to watch the drama go down. I get along great with the kiddies there as well as people I work with and just do my thing, gotta be laid back with it or you'll drive yourself crazy. They start back Wednesday, should be a good ride.

Speaking of ball, the next few things are going to be sports related. A few of them though, even if you're not a sports fan at all, you can relate. One such relation would be the Little League World Series. I love this stuff when it's on TV, it's good entertainment. For the most part, it's a pure game all about the fun. Sure, you're going to have kids every year that some coach is going to try to push through when he's really 16 years old and claim he is 13. Take California's team for example. They have this kid that is 6'2" and 200 pounds. Come on. This kid was probably bigger than me when he was 7, although that's not saying a lot. When I was 12, I wasn't even 100 pounds. Besides him, this year's games have been fun and it's only heating up.



To my crew, let's take a road trip to Williamsport, Pennsylvania one year to watch this. I'm being serious on that. It couldn't be that bad of a time. In other news with this, both Canada and Saudi Arabia have a girl on the team, the only two teams that can say that this year, you rarely see that. These kids aren't playing for the money, they just go all out and have a good time. You'll see some crying, but when it all comes down to it, they're out there just bringing the enthusiasm. No worries in life, that's the best way to be and it shows on TV. Even if you're not a fan of sports, you can at least tune into the LLWS and watch a bit and enjoy it to watch America's past time, even if some people say that is football now. It's funny to me to see the height and weights of these kids and what their hobbies, etc are when they put it on the screen. LLWS, so underrated.

It's time to hit up fantasy football again. This is something you'll have to deal with at this time of year, so bear me out. I said last week that I'd update the happenings of the college fantasy league I've been a part of for a while. The great ManDingo had been the commissioner for a while, but this year he's passed the reigns on to Duce in Philly. I'm sure Duce will keep the spirit going that Dingo started. This is a smaller league as far as members, but I'll tell you who is involved because that's what I do, plus it's pretty competitive. We have ManDingo and Duce who we've already mentioned, plus TheAnswer in Las Vegas, The_Freak, Kasher of Montreal fame, DerekHood in Arkansas which is just a more western/southernly version of West Virginia, Walz, and myself. It's a keeper league and part of that goes with guys who graduate and guys you want to cut off your squad. The team theme name for this league is that you have to use a former Heisman Trophy Winner as your standby. I used to call it the Dingo Heisman League, but now I'll have to refer to it as Duce Heisman League. I feel like I am really strong at the quarterback ("Dat's my quatabaaccck!"- TO) and kicker positions. I had a bad season last year, but I'm a former champ of this league, I need to bring some of that glory back to not let Tim Brown down. Without further ado, ladies and gentlemennnnn.. here is yourrrr Team Tim Brown roster!



QB: Andy Schmitt, Eastern .Michigan (Senior)
QB: Rusty Smith, Florida Atlantic (Senior)
QB: Juice Williams, Illinois (Senior)
QB: Andy Dalton, TCU (Junior)
QB: Colin Kaepernick, Nevada (Junior)
QB: Christian Ponder, Florida State (Junior)
RB: Andre Anderson, Tulane (Senior)
RB: Reggie Arnold, Arkansas State (Senior)
RB: Anthony Dixon, Mississippi State (Senior)
RB: Brandon West, Western Michigan (Senior)
RB: John Clay, Wisconsin (Sophomore)
RB: Montell Harris, Boston College (Sophomore)
WR: Freddie Barnes, Bowling Green (Senior)
WR: Jacoby Ford, Clemson (Senior)
WR: Mardy Gilyard, Cincinnati (Senior)
WR: Ryan Wolfe, UNLV (Senior)
WR: Michael Floyd, Notre Dame (Sophomore)
WR: Phil Payne, UNLV (Sophomore)
K: Thomas Weber, Arizona St (Junior)
K: Matt Eller, Illinois (Sophomore)



Ok, one more little "fantasy" section. Anyone out there wanting in on some of the Yahoo NFL or NCAA Pick Em leagues? It's simple and you know you want in. Our crew has been doing these for ages. Basically you make your picks each week and we use spreads, but no confidence points. It's free and quick and easy to do. Invite anyone you want, it's time to get it going. Also for the locals, Dynamite Danny starts this week in the Clarksburg paper! Cougs open the season on Friday night, hit me up if ya wanna go. Here is the info if you'd like to join up for Pick Ems:

NCAA (Lobstah Mania) http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/college
ID: 9422
Password: lobstah

NFL (Lobstah Mania NFL Style) http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/pickem
ID: 25642
Password: lobstah

Now it's time for some words of wisdom from The_Freak:

The_Freak (11:21:37 PM): This motherfu**er on the TV just put guacamole on corn on the cob.

The_Freak (11:23:38 PM): That is almost as bad as my sister's husband putting mayo on a hot dog.

The_Freak (11:23:48 PM): And my dad was pissed off and wanted to kick his ass.

The_Freak (11:23:53 PM): and told him to never let him see it again


More CDs to update people on that are into some rap. If not, and that's probably most of you, then stay tuned after these and I'll get you back to your regularly schedule program.



Dorrough: Dorrough Music. This guy is from Dallas for anyone who doesn't know him. He's been around for several years, but this is his first thing to hit the mainstream. This is good I think and a nice start for the 22-year old. It's similar to Houston rap if that gives anything to it, but no chopped and screwed junk. Walk That Walk was the first single off this album. The jam you may know that is getting pretty big now is called Ice Cream Paint Job. He doesn't have a ton of guys on here with him which is good, but has Lil Flip and Slim Thug on to name a few to give him some cred. Some others to get? This Time You Was Wrong, What's My Ringtone, and She Ain't Got It All with Lil Flip.

Fabolous: Loso's Way. If it weren't for another I'm about to review next, this would be the best of the bunch, definitely worth giving a chance to. If you're a Fab fan, you know what you're getting. It's not as good as Ghetto Fabolous of course, but that was 8 years ago and it has tough expectations. For the most part over the years, Fab has done his thing and knows how to lay it down. You know you want some recommendations so here we go. You need to find My Time with Jeremih, Throw It In The Bag with Jay-Z and The Dream, and Salute with Lil Wayne. There wasn't a track in this bunch that I didn't think was good.

Mos Def: The Ecstatic. Quite possibly the best CD of 2009 so far in my mind on the rap scene, I'll give it that much respect, no joke. This is some straight legit true New York hip hop. I've had a subscription to XXL magazine for a long time, so if you're familiar with that, they gave it a XL rating, which doesn't come often. They broke down all tracks on their ranks for Mos and rated three of his tracks a XXL. Two of their XXL rankings are my favorites. The first is Auditorium featuring Slick Rick the Ruler. Slick Rick is one of the greatest rap storytellers of all time and he straight kills it with his verse, something that is definitely missing in today's raps. Then we go to History with Talib Kweli, one of the best lyricists out there if you ask me and tie that in with a collabo with Mos and it's money. How can you compete with a CD that has both Slick Rick and Talib on the tracks? You can't. Get this CD as quick as you can, trust me on this, it's THAT good.



Bird's Dirty of the Week: Arizona Jas with one of her submissions here. We hit up Louisiana this week. What does Jas say on this one? "220 pictures, kind of trampy, lots of the same pic,... not too hard on the eyes though." Hey pimpin', you get credit for another submission, racking them in. As usual, if anyone wants to send one in, it'll always be considered. Check it out if you want: http://www.myspace.com/sam_baby_love

Bird's Video Moment of the Week: If you're ate up online like the rest of us, you've already seen this vid. During the past week, this 13 year old kid is becoming a YouTube sensation apparently. Kid doesn't have a webcam or anything fancy at home, so he hit up an Apple Store and used their stuff. The people behind him are what makes it funny to me, but the kid does a good job. I thought it was funny anyways, who knows.



3 Quick Thangs:

1. I don't get into the NCIS type of shows. I know they're huge and I'd probably like them if I gave them any chance, but on Monday nights before WWE RAW, the lead-in is NCIS. I catch the last 5 minutes or so just waiting on my wrestling fix. I notice the chick on there though, Pauley Perrette who plays the character Abby. She's fairly hot in a dirty/different type of way in my opinion. I look up her age and was blown away. I'm terrible at guessing ages anyways, but that chick is 40! "I'm 40, I'm a man!" Maybe it's the pigtails that have me predicting a lot lower. I would've guessed 20s for sure, but that shows what I know.

2. According to Men's Health Magazine, the worst food of 2009 would be what? A large chocolate Oreo shake from Baskin Robbins. That bad boy has 2,6000 calories, 135 grams of fat, 263 grams of sugar, and 1,700 mg of sodium. The worst appetizer? UNO Chicago Grill pizza skins. Now these are crazy. 2,400 calories, 155 grams of fat, and a whopping 3,600 mg of sodium.

3. Here's some facts to end on. There are 293 ways to make change for a dollar.. The average person's left hand does 56% of the typing.. Two-thirds of the world's eggplant is grown in New Jersey.. A cat has 32 muscles in each ear.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

xxl mag is with the thick chicks....nice. :)
and yes...nearbout every guy has some sort of a crush on Abby...

quality as always :)