Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Summer, Summer, Summertime!

I'd like to start today's post with a quote or lyric instead of ending with one.

DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince -- Song: Summertime -- Album: Homebase (1991)

School is out and it's a sort of a buzz
a back then I didn't really know what it was
but now I see what have of this
the way that people respond to summer madness
the weather is hot and girls are dressing less
and checking out the fellas to tell 'em who's best
riding around in your Jeep or your Benzos
or in your Nissan sitting on Lorenzos
back in Philly we be out in the park
a place called The Plateau is where everybody goes
guys out hunting and girls doing likewise
honking at the honey in front of you with the light eyes
she turn around to see what you beeping at
it's like the summers a natural Afrodesiac
and with a pen and pad I compose this rhyme
to hit you and get you equipped for the summer time

Summer, summer, summertime
time to sit back and unwind!


I figured this one fit me well after today. I went to "work" and didn't have to show up until 8:30. After eating some watermelon, I was only there for one purpose. I had to make sure all of my kids' report cards were in an envelope so we could mail them out. After turning that in and the gradebook for the class I was at the past few weeks, it was time to roll out. Checkout time? 9:45. Yep, I was at work for roughly an hour and got paid for the entire day. You might not roll in the money with teaching, but it definitely has it's benefits. You get summers off, a week for Thanksgiving, 2 weeks for Christmas, Spring Break, a lot of snow days, holidays, off on the weekends, straight dayshift work, get great benefits (I don't know, but will whenever I'm a full time guy) etc.. I'll take that over a crazy high paying job anyday. To me, I can live comfortable on a teaching salary. No clue what kind of expenses I'll have say 10 years from now, but I still think I should be able to live fine. Money is nice, but it's overrated.

And the lyric I used, we all know from back in the day. Back when "The Fresh Prince" was doing his thang, before he wussed out and turned into Will Smith. I strongly will not believe those two are the same guy. I just won't be conned into that one, and you all shouldn't either. :) Just like we all read from DerekHood (http://thekingofcrunk.blogspot.com/) a few days ago, he was saying how Real World Jamie With Makeup and Real World Jamie Mugshot Picture are two different chicks. Derek, I'm disappointed you didn't like the pick last night on Real World. Charlie has to be halfway funny just because he's a hick from a foreign country. Or maybe we're just sick of hicks from being in West Virginia and Arkansas all of our lives. But we'll see.

And for last night's sleeping update.. I went to bed at 2:45 and woke up at 7:45. 5 hours, I'll take it. I thought I'd get a nap after work, but since I'm addicted to this thing, I decided to tough it out. When I got home from "work", a wild hair got into me and I wanted to cook. So I go with Chinese Orange Chicken. Bust out the skillet, put some Canola oil in the pan (you all didn't think I was that sophisticated huh?), and get it cranking on medium. Then a minute later, I put the top on the skillet, lower the temperature and let it cook away for another 7 minutes or so. After that, it was time to bust out the "orange" sauce. I put that in there, let it heat up with the chicken and it was done. It looked like I cooked some 5 course meal though. Mom and Dad even were big on it. This cooking thing is coming in handy and I hope to do more of it. Still, I can't stray away from "cooking" Easy Mac on a regular basis, but every now and then I might play chef.

After that, I hung out in the air conditioned (we actually have that in WV now) sports palace of mine in the upstairs section of our house. I roll out around 2:00 and head straight for my county's Board of Education office in the mean streets of Clarksburg. Water Street for the locals, so I was in the ghetto if you can call it that. I had to drop off 2 bids I have on new jobs opening up this fall. I have 5 bids on Social Studies jobs in my area out right now. I'm the new guy still, but maybe I can land one. If not, I won't cry. Or as our good buddy Snoop Dogg would say about crying, straight from Lodi Dodi off of the 1993 debut of Snoop's solo career, Doggystyle..

Damn, now what was I to do
She's cryin over me and she was feelin blue
I said, "Um, don't cry, dry your eye
And here comes your mother with those two little guys"
Her mean mother steps then says to me "Hi!!"
Decked Sally in the face and punched her in the eye
Punched her in the belly and stepped on her feet
Slammed the child on the hard concrete


So instead of crying, I'm still good. My only complaint with subbing is that I don't have any benefits at all. I'm working pretty much everyday, so I don't have to worry about that, but at least a partial benefit plan would be sweet. I had a dentist appointment at 3:10 after I dropped off my bid sheets to get an interview for a job next year. I rolled in there early, like 2:40 or 2:45. I figured they'd be all nice and get me in early. Or at the worst, get me in on time. Imagine that concept. Next thing I know, I look up and it's 3:50. During that time I read through the new Sports Illustrated, with Rick Reilly's article being the first I always read. After doing that, I watched some soap operas. That's how sad it was in there. Finally I get in there and have to get like 2 or 3 fillings done. I never know half the stuff they're doing in there, so they could tell me anything. And it's all from eating candy. I brush like 4 or 5 times a day, floss, use fluoride, and still I get cavities all over the place. And how about when the dentist asks you questions while you're mouth is being worked on, half of your mouth is numb, you're drooling spit, and it's something you can't answer yes or no to. What's he expect me to say there? I could mumble a bunch of junk, but that wouldn't work either.

After some dentist action, I head on to Wal-Mart. I pick up a pack of 50 blank CDs, the Mach3 Power razor (the new one you see with the little motor), and 2 boxes of the greatest Chinese food of all time. That's right, the one and only General Tso's Chicken. That stuff is the highest of high quality and you must check it out if you have never done so before. 7:00 on a Wednesday night.. and now that I'm a bum all summer, it seems like Friday. I guess all of my days are the same now. I'll just have to schedule my bumming around wrestling, Real World, Bam, and WildBoyz.

Check out Lords Of Pain, the best wrestling news site out there, hands down.. http://lordsofpain.net/index2.html

No comments: